Those who motorbike often, know how it makes the riders feel. Motorbike riding is an unforgettable mix of exhilaration, anxiety, relaxation, and pleasure. It’s a combination of physical and emotional satisfaction, with a touch of fear and adrenaline. It symbolizes speed, the need for speed, thrill, adventure, effort, performance, accomplishments, and competition. It’s a feeling more than an experience!
It is understandable to be confused and overwhelmed if the choice you have to make is for one of the most thrilling experiences of your life. It becomes even more of a task if that choice is between two of the top leading motorcycle brands. In this article, we’ll discuss the features of both the Kawasaki Vulcan S and the Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 in detail that would help you better decide which one suits your needs better.
Vulcan S is a product of Kawasaki motorcycles. Kawasaki motorcycles are produced by the Motorcycle & Engine division of Kawasaki Heavy Industries which has its plants in the Philippines, Japan, Indonesia, Michigan, India, Thailand, and Bangladesh. Kawasaki products provide quite a high level of quality, design, consistency, reliability, and excellent value for money. It is a big name that people often consider while purchasing a new motorbike.
The Vulcan S, unlike any other cruiser, is built to take riders into a sporty world in an edgy style. This bike kicks any experience into high gear by combining an aggressive ride with retro styling and a powerful 649cc engine. The Vulcan S adds confidence-inspiring performance to every journey, whether you’re commuting to work or taking a day trip.
Features and Plus-Points
Ergo-Fit is an exclusive sizing device that allows riders of all sizes to get the ideal fit by adjusting the bike’s saddle, footpegs, and handlebar to fit their height and reach. Ergo-Fit offers 18 different configurations between Reduced Reach, Mid Reach, and Extended Reach to help produce a more relaxed and secure riding experience for the customers.
When you purchase a Vulcan S motorcycle, you’ll have the option to get fitted at no additional costs. It is even easier to get fitted at dealerships with an Ergo-Fit Center.
The 649cc parallel-twin engine provides a smooth and efficient power delivery. And a light overall weight results in simple handling and exceptional performance for a confidence-inspiring experience.
Moreover, as the revs rise, the predictable roll-on power contributes to a confident riding experience, providing a spirited ride in the high-rpm range.
- Sport bike-derived chassis and suspension provide light and responsive handling for fast maneuvering and a sporty vibe.
- Sport bike-inspired wheels and tires add to the light handling and confident traction.
- The rear shock has a seven-position preload adjuster that can optimize the rear suspension for a smooth, relaxed ride, making it suitable for a wide range of riders. Adjustments may be made to fit the preferences of the passenger, such as a softer setting for a plusher ride or a stiffer setting for a sportier ride.
Kawasaki Vulcan S has quite high maintenance costs due to its expensive parts.
Sportster 1200 is a product of Harley Davidson. Harley Davidson is an American motorcycle manufacturer that was founded in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1903. It is one of the top two motorcycle companies based in The United States that has survived the Great Depression. The company has survived various ownership deals, subsidiary arrangements, periods of poor economic health and product quality, and intense global competition to become one of the world’s largest motorcycle manufacturers and an iconic brand renowned for its loyal following. There are owner clubs and events all over the world, as well as a brand-focused museum sponsored by the firm.
Sportster 1200 has an iconic V-Twin engine well known for its large low-end torque and a soul-satisfying sound. And the lightweight aluminum heads and cylinders enhance the air-cooling effect.
Features and Plus-Points
Engine and Transmission:
- The engine has a capacity of 1202 cc.
- It has a displacement of 1202.0 cm (73.35 cubic inches).
- The engine type is V2, four-stroke and the engine is air-cooled.
- The bike has a power of 67.0 HP (48.9 kW @ 6000 RPM) and a torque of 99.0 Nm (10.1 kg-m or 73.0 ft.lbs) @ 3750 RPM.
- The fuel system is “Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)”.
- The lubrication system is “Dry Sump”.
- The clutch is multi-plate with diaphragm spring in an oil bath.
- The fuel consumption is 4.90 liters/100 km (20.4 km/l or 48.00 mpg).
- The exhaust system is “Chrome, staggered exhaust with slash-cut mufflers”.
Chassis, Suspension, Brakes, and Wheels:
- It has a rake (fork angle) of 30° and a trail of 107 mm (4.2 inches).
- The front suspension is “Telescopic fork” and the rare suspension is “Twin shocks”.
- The front tire is 130/90-B16 and the rear tire is 150/80-B16.
- The front and the rear brakes both are single disc, dual-piston, and have optional ABS.
- The wheels are “Chrome, 5-Spoke Cast Aluminum”.
Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom was launched in 2019 so it is a comparatively old model. A lot of new motorcycle models with enhanced features have been introduced since then. Even the Kawasaki Vulcan S with which we are comparing it in this article has launched a variety of latest models in 2020 and 2021 which gives it an edge in this respect over the Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom.
Your final choice of a motorcycle depends on your preference, the style, specifications, and features you look for in a bike, its price, how much and where you travel, and how much mileage you require. Some people may prefer the Kawasaki Vulcan S over the Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom due to the former’s relatively low cost. However, others might go for the latter one due to its enhanced specifications and a variety of color choices available.
Lastly, we hope that you found the article interesting and useful and it would help you make a more informed decision about the bike of your choice.